Friday, March 21, 2008

Thing 20: Libraries and Social Networks:

I have had more difficulty manuevering around this web site than any of the others and this is suppose to be so easy! For starters, our Library has myspace.com blocked so I could not log onto that at all. My difficulty with facebook is that after I registered, I was asked for a new password everytime I logged on and then more problems pursued! It is taking up too much time at work so I'll have to work this one out on my home computer.

I have some concerns about these sites. Facebook is used to keep up with friends, upload unlimited numbers of photos, share links and videos, and learn more about people. It is open to anyone with a valid email address. It is such a public forum. People don't always profile their true selves or know how and when to separate private from public information. When it comes to social networking, it's wise to put your best face forward!

From information that I have read, as of 2007, this website has the largest number of registered users among college-focused sites. Students will continue to think of ways to share information....private and public! A way to get to know each other.

I will log on to myspace from my home computer but I don't really know if this site is one I will be using often. I've heard about it many times but haven't had an interest in it. I do now! There is probably as much bad news/information on these sites as good news/information. And, could one ever really know if what he/she is reading is true?

At our library, my access to these sites is very limited and I am completing these Things from the Circulation Desk. Limited time and limited space!

No comments: